I think that 2019 was a stellar year for horror films (so much so that I had such a hard time narrowing down my favorite films into a top 10 list!), so 2020 has a lot to live up to. I've been keeping my ear to the ground to catch any buzz on upcoming horror films, and I think I've rounded up quite a big list of horror films I'm excited to see. When I do these kinds of lists, I really delve deep into research, checking festival schedules, scouring message boards and horror groups, listening to horror podcasts, reading horror sites, and talking to friends in the horror community to see what upcoming horror films people are most excited about. I definitely do my homework, and I try to keep up with the horror outlook all year long. I'm excited to report that 2020 looks like it will continue the trend of quality, varied horror we've seen in past years!
Before I share over 60+ horror movies I'm looking forward to, a few things to keep in mind:
- Some films appeared on last year's list - though they may have been released at festivals in 2019, 2020 is where they will have their proper, wide release in the United States so I am including some of those again on this list.
- I started compiling this list months ago, so some of the films listed have already been released. Despite this, I've still included some of these on this list.
- The films below are arranged chronologically by release date, but keep in mind the release dates listed may change.
- At the time I wrote this, some films' release dates are yet to be determined, and it's possible their release dates could get pushed to a 2021 or beyond release.
- As I start seeing films on this list, I'll be updating this post with quick thoughts on the movie.
- Finally, just a reminder that this is a personal list and in no way comprehensive of all horror films coming in 2020. I am looking forward to all of the surprise films I'm not even aware of yet!