Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Food Review: Earth Balance Vegan Cheddar and Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Kettle Chips
Written by Sarah E. Jahier
Ok, I am slightly behind the times as I just picked up the two new Earth Balance kettle chip flavors this past month though they have been out on the market since the beginning of the year. I found them at my local Whole Foods and couldn't resist picking them up since I can't remember the last time I ate sour cream and onion or cheddar flavored chips!
The first ones I tried were the Vegan Cheddar Flavor Kettle Chips. I wasn't expecting to like these as much as I did, but, wow, were they good!! They totally reminded me of the cheesy flavored potato chips from my pre-vegan days. I admit I inhaled 80% of the chips the first time I tried them! The rest of the 20% was jealously guarded against friends and family until I couldn't wait any longer and polished off the remaining chips. These cheesy little chips definitely satisfied me and I can't wait to score my next bag!
Next, I tried the Vegan Sour Cream and Onion Kettle Chips. I had been most excited for these, but was a little let down that the flavor wasn't stronger. Also, I don't know if the chips were old, but they seemed a little stale. I also thought they were a bit too thick and tough, though maybe this was just the style of the kettle chips. These weren't my favorite of the two flavors, but don't get me wrong, despite the issues I had with them they were still pretty tasty! I would probably buy again, though mostly for scientific purposes to see if I got a stale bag the first time around.
Earth Balance also has a new Sea Salt flavor out, but I have yet to try that one. All of their new kettle chip flavors are vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO, so scour the shelves at your local grocery store for these hot new(ish) items! Pssssst...if you can't find them in your area you can also order them online through fine retailers like Vegan Essentials!