All you really need for this recipe is plain popcorn, marshmallows, butter and some red food coloring! Nothing could be easier...or ooey-gooey delicious! Recipe below veganized/adapted from this recipe and various online sources (I lost the other sources after cobbling together this recipe...if you know the other sources please tell me so I can give proper credit!).
Popcorn Brain Balls
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup un-popped popcorn (or about 4 cups plain popped corn)
6 tablespoons vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
5 cups miniature vegan marshmallows (I use Dandies)
Red food coloring
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with vegan shortening, butter or margarine. Set aside.
- If you are using popped corn, skip to step #3. If using un-popped corn, add vegetable oil to a 4 quart saucepan, and heat over high heat. When oil is hot, add popping corn. Keep pan moving constantly. When corn stops popping, remove from heat. Put popcorn in prepared pan.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in marshmallows a little at a time and stir constantly until melted. Pour mixture over popcorn and mix with spoon to coat evenly.
- Let mixture cool slightly. Coat your hands in butter or grease and mix popcorn and mixture with your hands so that it is evenly coated.
- Form popcorn into 8 balls.
- If you want, you can use a mixture of a few drops of red food coloring (make sure it is vegan or use natural food coloring from plants), a few teaspoons of powdered sugar (again, make sure to buy a vegan brand) and a little bit of water to make a paste. Use the paste to draw veins on your brain balls! Alternately, you could just add a few drops of red to your butter and marshmallow mixture to give your brain balls a nice pinkish red tint!
Popcorn brains...sometimes I feel like my own brains are only made of popcorn. :o) Cute for parties, and far tastier than actual brains, no doubt! ;o)ReplyDelete